Thursday, February 25, 2010

Dog Treats ????

Ok, I know this is about my quest to eat healthier and share my journey to loose weight and lower my cholesterol so your asking why am I posting about doggie treats?
Those of you who are animal lovers will understand. I take my dog for regular visits to the groomer which is also his Vet office. They do little "report cards" each time. I constantly am getting little warnings about his weight. Being a small dog every tiny bit of weight is obvious and also can be dangerous to his overall health. Also, I spend way too much money on dog bones and greenies and treats. Which the vet has told me are too fattening for him.

So I figure that since he is a part of our family why should I feed him unhealthy treats while I am feeding myself healthy ones?

One thing the Vet office told me is to try feeding him baby carrots as treats. They are non-fattening and filling. So I gave him one.........which promptly was spit onto the floor. Later as I was getting our dinner out of the crock-pot I took one of the carrots that had cooked in the chicken broth and let it cool. I put some on a dish on the floor and he ate every bite!

I began searching for healthy dog treat recipes online. I have found several and today I began with the one that is the most simple. Only four ingredients. NO sugar.

2 cups flour ( either whole wheat or white)
1 cup rolled oats ( I used steel cut)
1/3 cup peanut butter ( I used smooth)
1 1/4 cup hot water
Combine dry ingredients. Then mix in the peanut butter and hot water.

Knead the dough together. Roll out the dough into 1/4 " thickness and cut into shapes. ( I used my grandsons playdoh cutters!).






Bake at 350* for approx. 25 minutes.









SUCCESS! He loved them!






You can store these in an air tight container in the refrigerator for three weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment