Monday, January 18, 2010

Preparing Ahead

There is one thing about eating healthier, you need to have healthy foods stocked in the kitchen.
I try to keep a good supply of fresh fruits and vegetables ready to grab when I need something to munch on. I've found that my grand kids also will grab them to munch on when I have them already prepared in the refrigerator and I like to see them on a healthier track as well.
So I take one day a week, which for me is usually Mondays, to spend some time in the kitchen cleaning and preparing the vegetables and fruits for the week.
I not only have it available for the week but also get all the fuss and mess over at once.
I now have containers with cut up cantaloupe, pineapple, grapes, celery sticks, carrot sticks, broccoli, jicama and cauliflower in the refrigerator.

While getting it all prepared I put some chicken strips in the skillet on the stove to cook. Then as I'm cutting up the celery, carrots, broccoli, etc. I throw some in the skillet with the chicken and create a stir-fry meal.

I also put some of the cut up veggies and fruits into small containers to put in Conner's snack bag for his preschool class tomorrow.

So in the process I've gotten all the healthy grabs for the week, a meal done for the day, and preschool snacks prepared for tomorrow!

** Here's a suggestion. When snacking on fresh veggie sticks put some of your favorite dressing (not a dip) in a tiny container. Dip the veggies in the dressing just enough to get the taste. You'll eat more veggies but won't get all the calories or fat from using a dip. **

1 comment: